In the last post we chatted about catching and keeping big clients, or “big fish”, the ones that will sustain your business over the long run. Today we’re going to go a step further and discuss how to understand and think like a ‘big fish’ company and how that can help you plan your approach and find success.
Before you can start the process of landing big clients, it is important that your team is onboard with your approach and vision. Here are six tips to finding big client success:
- First Impression: This is your one shot to land that big client. Have your plan thought out, any mistakes and they may not consider you again. Don’t give them a reason to doubt your abilities.
- First Priority: Ensure that the client feels like they are your first priority. Returning calls and emails promptly and finding solutions to their problems as quickly as possible.
- Flexible: Be flexible in your negotiations. If the client needs a special service or for you to customize a product, say yes for the long term benefit. A little hassle now will pay off later.
- Long-term: Similar to the last point – as you are approaching and negotiating with big clients you need to think about the long term benefits for your business. If you go for a one-time big score you will lose their interest.
- Have Fun: Work should be fun, even when trying to land big clients. In fact, this should be the most fun. You are sharing your vision with new people and including them in your future success. If your passionate your clients will see this and want to work with you.
- Help Them: If you take a small amount of your time to offer your clients ways to save money or time by introducing them to potential business partners, this will show you really are invested and interested in their business. Strive to find balance between your business needs and your client’s needs.
Here are a few tactics you can use to inspire a big-company vision to your team:
- Post these six tips for your team to see.
- Put together a performance based incentive program.
- Conduct frequent team meetings.
- Use a “right now” policy that dictates big fish calls be answered immediately.
- Offer rewards/recognition for big-company ideas and executions.
- Put together a training and certification program based on the six keys above.
These tips and tactics will help you instill a big-company mindset through your company which will help you be more prepared to land your ‘big fish’. Once your team is thinking this way, nothing will stop you!
If you need help putting together an incentive program or other way to push your team toward the big-company mindset, try our GUIDED TOUR to work with one of our coaches or check out our resources and tools.